Skip to main content

Between two weekends: A better way to be Pro-Life

As someone who has a masters degree in Social Work and a member of a conservative Christian denomination, my facebook feed spans the political gamut. To quote a favorite show of mine, I find myself "fiercely independent", leaning left on some issues and leaning right on others.  I voted for neither major-party candidate in the most recent election - opting to write in the person I thought was the best choice - despite living in a state where my write-in vote wouldn't count.

This weekend my facebook is angry on both sides - and both are right - partially. The left is correct to be angry at a President who has made derogatory remarks at almost every minority group in America.  The right is right to fight for the rights of the unborn as image-bearers and to tell the left they are wrong on this very important issue.

As Christians, we need to see all people as image-bearers.  This means immigrants - legal or not, those who look like us - or don't, those who think like us - or don't.  Those who have the same means as we do - and those who don't.

In fact - as our country becomes more secular - we can't expect non-Christians to act in Christ-like ways, and so while our mission has always been the same - it somehow takes on a new "revolutionary" bent - sounding more like those not at home - caught between the already and the not yet.  Because that's where we are.

And so I would encourage you not to "yell" on social media.  Invite those you know who think differently into your home - not to try to change their minds on your <insert issue>, but to share the love of Christ.  Support ministries in your town that work with kids in foster care or crisis situations, learn more about crisis pregnancy situations, modern-day slavery, inner-city family concerns, and ways to be involved.  God calls us to different tasks in this situation - giving money, giving time, opening our home.  Righteous anger is Biblical.  But so is loving our neighbor.

Next Saturday - march where you can, give how you can, pray about how to be involved.  But I encourage you not to yell - in person or online - at the person (especially the non-Christian) who is on the other side.  Yelling doesn't build bridges and I doubt it is the most effective evangelization tool.

Be righteously angry - but try to be Christ-like in doing so.  Because in our concern for life - not only does life begin at conception, but it doesn't end at death.  Keep that in mind as you encounter the "other side".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some People Got To Learn the Hard Way...

My oldest child just had a birthday and we're now done with the "little years" and into what the experts call "middle childhood". This got me thinking back to the year I found out I was pregnant with her and the many ways my life has changed since.  Let's take a (slight) step back in time to our former president's first run for President, a (new) economic crisis, and my list. "What List?" I can hear you thinking. (Or if you actually know me, " which list?") The one my newlywed husband and I made on our first married New Year's Day (totally my idea).  This list contained goals: personal, professional, spiritual, family.  I still have it tucked away.  In the category of "family", the "long-range/5yr" plan said: "think about having a baby or adopting". And that was all the thought I gave to a family for about 9 months.  I was finishing grad school.  I had an internship to complete.  All A's to m

Detours

Recently I found myself taking routes home that were "off the beaten path" - err...at least off my beaten path.  You know - the one you can almost drive it in your sleep because you drive it all. the. time. I found myself  driving home from some leisurely Saturday morning errands with the girls so my husband could attend a work webinar at home in peace.  Without warning I came across an intersection that was blocked off by police cars.  I could see what I thought what looked like a utility truck but nothing else.  (I'm that person who tries to see around all the cars but who really can't see anything in my 4-door sedan surrounded by pickup trucks and SUVs.) I was hungry. I was ready to get home.  And if I'm being completely honest I was a little miffed that my Saturday morning task was to occupy the kids so my husband could work - after all he had been at work all week.  Wasn't Saturday my time? But there was no going through this area - emergency pers